FastForward is a grant-funded program helping Virginia residents get good-paying jobs in today’s high-demand fields.
FastForward grants offset tuition costs on select workforce training programs. Eligible students can earn an industry credential at 1/3 the cost of tuition for short-term training programs. What this means for you: a clear path to a better paying, meaningful career with support along the way.
"Working on a ship that protects our nation is the experience of a lifetime. After FastForward workforce training, my advice is: if you’re looking for a new career, go for it!"
Micah Van Ness, Norfolk, VA
Credentials: Shielded Metal Arc Welding
Current Position: Structural Welder
Eligible TCC credential programs
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant
Full cost: $3,210
Your cost: $1,070
Medical Billing and Coding
Full cost: $3,099
Your cost: $1,033
Certified Professional Coder Exam Prep
Full cost: $1,063
Your cost: $354
Alternative Licensure for Public School Teachers (Career-Switcher Program)
Full cost: $3,900
Your cost: $1,300
Shielded Metal Arc Welding
Full cost: $897
Your cost: $299
Full cost: $1,485
Your cost: $495
Full cost: $1,340
Your cost: $447
Full cost: $1,310
Your cost: $437
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)*
Full cost: $2,645
Your cost: $882
Support at every step
Dr. Emily Richardson is TCC’s Interim Workforce Career Coach. She works with participants throughout the program, providing assistance with the job training process and preparing for entry into the workforce.
Contact her at email@example.com or 757-822-1505.
Who can participate
You are eligible for FastForward if you:
- Are a Virginia-domiciled resident (What’s domicile?)
- Not enrolled in a bachelor’s or associate program
- Have met Selective Service requirements
What is expected of you
You will be expected to regularly attend and participate in all classes AND successfully attain the designated credential or licensure at the end of the program.
If the cost of the exam is included in the tuition, it will be covered by FastForward.
What you will pay
Participants are responsible for paying the first 1/3 of the course cost at the time of registration. Upon your successful completion of the course and the credential, FastForward will pay the other 2/3. The maximum value of each grant is $3,000 per credential. If you don’t complete and pass the course, you will be responsible for an additional 1/3 of the cost.
If you can’t afford the first 1/3
The Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC) program is available to those meeting certain eligibility requirements, including income. If you qualify, you would pay only 10% of the up-front cost. For example, if 1/3 of the course cost is $300, you would pay $30.
Policy on awarding funds
- Student recipients are selected on a first-come, first-served basis
- Students are required to report complete the course/program and are required to report receipt of an industry credential
- Students are required to pay 10% of one third of the training costs
- Awards are used only for approved FastForward credential programs and testing
- Award amounts are based solely on institutional charges to the student (no personal expenses, transportation, child care)
- Annual maximum award per student shall be $5,000
- A student who fails to successfully complete a funded program of study is ineligible for additional awards. The student may submit an appeal to TCC for unusual or mitigating circumstances.
- The student will complete a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) agreeing to repay the first one third of the total program cost in the event the program is not satisfactorily completed. The MOU shows the exact breakdown or total cost, one third, and 10% payment required upon registration
- If a student fails to successfully the complete a funded program, the student will be invoiced to repay the first third of the total cost of the program
- If a student fails to pass the credentialing test, then the student is to pay for additional testing
- If a student does not take the credential test within 120 days after completing the program, TCC will not pay for the credential exam.
Policies and procedures
Look for FastForward-eligible courses in TCC’s online registration system.
If you are using FastForward to pay for your class and qualify for financial assistance, please call 757-822-1234 before registering
Interim Workforce Career Coach